5 Sun Safety Tips for Kids
Can you believe Memorial Day is almost here? That means summer fun has arrived - splashing in pools, sand castles at the beach, hikes, bikes and more! There is no better time than now to make sure your kiddos have proper UV protection for all their summer activities. We carry a great selection of sunglasses for your little ones - and your teens too!
Because Ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun can potentially cause multiple age-related eye problems like cataracts and macular degeneration, protecting your kids eyes is vital to their long term eye health. The more exposure to the sun's harmful UV rays during your lifetime, the more at risk you are to develop sight-threatening conditions.
Since children tend to spend lots of time outdoors, especially in the harsh summer sun - some experts say nearly half of a person's lifetime exposure to ultraviolet radiation can take place by age 18. Children are also more susceptible to retinal damage from UV rays because the lens inside a child's eye is clearer than an adult lens, enabling more UV to penetrate deep into the eye (source).
Here are 5 important things to consider when purchasing sunglasses for your children:
1. Be sure the lenses are impact resistant & the frames made of "unbreakable" material.
2. Pick a large, close-fitting frame. These are best to help protect children's eyes during play.
3. It is most important that your child wear sunglasses between 10am-2pm, when the suns rays are the strongest.
4. Beware of cheap sunglasses. They can pose safety hazards when made of cheap materials and low quality paints.
5. Know the percentage of UVA & UVB rays being block by the sun - be wary of the phrase "blocks UV rays". You want a lens that blocks out 100% of UVA & UVB rays.
All of our children's sunglasses here at eye2eye are high quality and block 100% of UVA & UVB rays. Bring your kiddos in today for a sunglass fitting and let us help you make sure their vision is healthy for years to come!