Vision Tips for College Students
These six tips will help keep your eyes and vision healthy while away at college. Its crucial to maintain healthy vision and eyes because better vision means better grades! 1. Don’t shower or swim in your contact lenses. Avoid a serious eye infection like Acanthamoeba keratitis and make sure your contact lenses should never come in contact with water, only sterile contact lens solution.
2. Go outside. Spending some time outdoors not only helps to refresh your brain, it helps keep your vision focused. So much time in front of computers, books and screens can cause serious strain on your vision.
3. Wash your hands. From dorms to frat houses, college can be gross. All these germs provide ample opportunities for conjunctivitis and other infections to spread quickly across large groups of people. Wash your hands regularly and avoid rubbing your eyes!
4. Give your eyes a break. Prevent dry eye and eye strain by following the 20-20-20 rule. Look at something 20 feet away every 20 minutes for 20 seconds.
5. Don’t share makeup. While it may be tempting to share mascara and eye shadow with your new roommate, do your best to avoid sharing makeup. Bacteria love to hang out in liquid or cream eye makeup. Be sure to toss your makeup after three months!
6. Protect your eyes during the game. Student athletes should always wear proper eye protection for any sports they’re involved in.
Source: Optometry Times