5 Steps to Healthier Vision
Healthy vision is an integral part of overall health. Taking care of your eyes now can prevent serious eye diseases as well as ensure that your vision is sharp well into your twilight years. Healthier Vision in 5 Steps:
1. Have a comprehensive dilated exam. A comprehensive dilated eye exam helps to not only properly evaluate your vision, it can also identify the early stages of common eye diseases, helping to prevent further damage. There are several elements of a dilated exam - first, Dr. A or Dr. Doan will place drops in your eyes that dilate or widen your pupils. This allows more light to enter the eye - the same way opening a door lets more light into a dark room. By doing this, your doctor is able to get a better look at the back of your eyes and examine them for signs of damage or disease. This exam will also ensure that you are seeing your best and if you might benefit from glasses or contacts.
2. Know your family's eye health history. Just like your overall health history, family eye healthy history can hold the key to what diseases you and your eye health professional should be on the look out for. Many eye diseases are hereditary and knowing your risks can help your doctor catch potential symptoms early.
3. Eat well to protect your vision. So much research is emerging about diet and eye health. There are certain foods proven to help protect your eyes including dark, leafy greens, foods high in omega-3 fatty acids like salmon and other types of fish, nuts and more. There has also been serious research proving the benefits of eating the Mediterranean Way.
4. Wear your sunglasses! Using proper UV protection cannot be stressed enough. The suns rays can cause irreversible damage to your eyes and they should be protected at all times. Be sure to wear sunglasses that protect your eyes from 100% of UVA & UVB rays - we can help you select a proper lens at eye2eye.
5. Give your eyes a rest. Chances are you spend at lease some of your day focused on a computer, tablet, smart phone or TV screen. Give your eyes a rest from the fatigue and follow the 20/20/20 rule. Make sure that every 20 minutes you look at a spot 20 feet away for 20 seconds.
Follow these five steps to improve your vision health. If you need to schedule your annual comprehensive exam, click here to make an appointment!
Follow us on Facebook for more great tips on vision health!