Protect Your Eyes In Style
We all know about how to protect our skin from the sun and UV damage, but how often do we think about protecting our eyes? Did you know that the sun's harsh UV rays can actually cause a sunburn on your cornea? Long term UV expsoure also leads to eye problems like cataracts and irreversible problems like macular degeneration. Not exactly the ideal result of that summer fun in the sun!
But - the good news is, just as there are ways to protect your skin from sun damage, there are ways to protect your eyes! And the best part - you can look even better doing it! Wearing sunglasses that block out 99-100 percent of UV-A and UV-B radiation will protect your eyes from possible damage. At Eye2Eye we offer comprehensive eye exams and fittings to make sure you get the perfect pair of shades and the best protection possible. Follow these tips from the American Optometric Association and your eyes will be protected all summer long!
- Wear protective eyewear any time your eyes are exposed to UV light, even on cloudy days and during winter months.
- Look for quality sunglasses that offer good protection. Sunglasses should block out 99 to 100 percent of both UV-A and UB-B radiation and screen out 75 to 90 percent of visible light.
- Check to make sure your sunglass lenses are perfectly matched in color and free of distortion and imperfection.
- Purchase gray-colored lenses. They reduce light intensity without altering the color of objects, providing the most natural color vision.
- Don’t forget protection for children and teenagers. They typically spend more time in the sun than adults